In recognition of outstanding achievement, WVU Potomac State provides a scholarship to first-time freshmen who have achieved the highest levels of honor or leadership within nationally acclaimed organizations.
Currently Recognized Organizations & Levels
- Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout Rank
- Girl Scouts of the USA: Gold Award
- 4-H: Received a charting pin in West Virginia
- Civil Air Patrol: Amelia Earhart Award
- Boys and Girls Nation: Be selected and attend
- Future Farmers of America (FFA): State or national officer
- Incoming freshmen who have a high school GPA of at least 3.0 and an ACT composite of at least 21 or combined new SAT of 1070 (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score and Math score only) or old SAT 990 (Critical Reading score and Math score only) will be awarded a $500 scholarship annually for up to two academic years or completion of an associate's degree (whichever comes first). This award can total up to $1,000 over the course of the student's education. Please note that SAT score has been adjusted to reflect test results from the new SAT test, first given in March 2016. Students who are admitted into a bachelor’s degree program at WVU Potomac State may be eligible for renewal for another two years.
- Student must remain enrolled as a full-time undergraduate at the Keyser campus.
- Eligible students must submit verification of status attainment from one of the organizations listed below (i.e. certificate or letter of proof) to the Office of Enrollment Services. Please include the student name, WVU ID number, and date of birth with the information sent. The deadline to have any information submitted for consideration is August 1 for the upcoming aid year.
- This award will usually be in addition to any other scholarship offered by WVU Potomac State College.
- Students may renew the scholarship for future academic years by maintaining a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 and earning a minimum 30 credit hours each academic year. Students must also maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility.