WVU may grant Academic Forgiveness to some undergraduate students who were not successful in their first attempt at higher education.
Policies governing academic forgiveness:
- For the purposes of admission, the West Virginia University system may honor academic forgiveness granted at a previously attended regionally accredited institution. Students requesting admittance who wish to have a previous grant of academic forgiveness honored must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher in at least 24 earned credit hours after academic forgiveness was applied.
- A student may receive academic forgiveness only once.
- Students requesting academic forgiveness cannot have been enrolled at any higher education institution for at least four calendar years.
- Students who receive academic forgiveness from the West Virginia University system will receive credit for all courses completed with a grade of D- or higher during the forgiven period of enrollment. While all grades and credit hours remain on the student’s transcript, grades earned during the forgiven enrollment period will not be counted in the student’s GPA.
- After receiving forgiveness, the student must satisfactorily complete all coursework required by the academic unit for graduation and at least 15 credit hours in the WVU system for an associate degree or 30 credit hours for a bachelor’s degree.
- Students who receive academic forgiveness are not eligible to graduate with honors.
- Academic forgiveness does not supersede some calculations used to determine eligibility for Satisfactory Academic Progress regarding financial aid, scholarships, and the veterans’ benefits.
- Some professional programs and other regionally accredited institutions may not honor academic forgiveness conferred by the West Virginia University system. Students receiving academic forgiveness should consult with an academic advisor in the field they wish to pursue.
- Complete and sign the top half of the Petition for Admission under Academic Forgiveness Policy.
- Petition is approved by the Dean of Academic Affairs or designee.
- Recommendation for admission under Academic Forgiveness is returned to the Office of Enrollment Services for appropriate processing.