Skip to main content

Transient Form

Taking courses elsewhere

Advanced Placement Credit

Beginning for First Time Freshmen in the fall 2019, Advanced Placement exam equivalencies will not be automatically awarded to their record at the receipt of their scores. Exams and scores will be displayed in the "Not Counted" bin of the student's Degree Works audit, indicated with the appropriate subject code, the number 1XP, and titled with the earned course equivalent. 

Applying all earned AP credits, even if they don’t apply toward the student’s degree requirements, may cause future issues with financial aid eligibility. Students may request to have their AP exam equivalencies applied to their record by utilizing the  AP Articulation Request site page and following the instructions under the Introduction paragraph.

Taking Courses in Transient

If you are a current WVU-PSC student who wants to take credits in transient at another institution, the first step is to see your academic adviser to discuss the process that includes the following requirements:

·       Only students with a 2.0 GPA will be approved to take courses in transient.

·       Courses completed for a grade other than "W" (Withdraw) at WVU-PSC may not be repeated at another school for degree credit via the transient process.

·       Students must have completed the required WVU-PSC prerequisites to take a course in transient or to receive WVU-PSC credit for a course taken in transient.

·       After enrolling at WVU-PSC, students will be limited to a total of 18 hours in transient work.

o   Only 9 of those hours may be courses required by the major

o   GEF courses (gen ed requirements) are part of the 18-hour total 

Once you know what courses you want to take, and where you want to take them, you and your adviser can access the  transfer credit database to determine how the course(s) will transfer back to WVU-PSC (see links below for additional viewing options). If you want to take a course that is not listed, you must request that it be added to the database via the  Transfer Equivalency Review Request (TERR)In most cases, the review process takes 5 to 10 business days. 

Request an approval 

Request transient approval to take a course at another institution. You will need to download the PDF, fill it out, save it, and email or deliver it to the Office of Academic Affairs. 

Study Abroad

Students who wish to take courses abroad as part of an approved program should consult with both their academic adviser and the  Office of Global Affairs. Once the desired coursework is selected, you should coordinate with these two entities to complete the  Study Abroad Form.  Students are strongly encouraged to read and review the instructions on the form to fully understand how to properly transfer their coursework back successfully if their plans change.

Course coding of transferable credit

In order to clearly identify and distinguish non-equivalent coursework, West Virginia University utilizes unique numbering for the various types of credit brought to WVU. The following legend explains the codes utilized by WVU, and when they may be applied.  





Utilized to designate coursework taken from a transfer institution that was found to not have a direct equivalent at WVU. The preceding number (x) indicates the level the course was taken as at the previous institution. The assigned subject code is determined by the content matter covered.   


1C1 & 1C2 

Awarded to English Composition courses that are found not directly equivalent to WVU's ENGL 101 & ENGL 102. These courses help to satisfy the General Education Foundation area 1. ENGL 1C1 serves as a prerequisite to ENGL 102. 

ENGL 1C1 & ENGL 1C2 

NOEQ 100 

Utilized to designate coursework that has not yet been evaluated for possible equivalency. 

NOEQ 100 


Utilized to represent coursework taken in transient, that requires an approved transient form to be articulated. 



Awarded to Advanced Placement exam scores that do not have an approved equivalent. May satisfy General Education requirements. 



Awarded to International Baccalaureate exam scores that do not have an approved equivalent.  May satisfy General Education requirements. 



Awarded to College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam scores that do not have an approved equivalent. May satisfy General Education requirements. 


Transfer credit database 

Review  transfer and transient credit database in Argos.

Review the transfer and  transient credit database in an exported Excel file. 

Additional questions

If you have additional questions regarding transfer and/or transient credit, please email

Get Started Today

Still Need Help?

Ask one of our counselors

Talk with us