- Major Name: Nursing
- Degree Program: Arts and Sciences
- Degree Designation: BSN
- College / School: School of Nursing
The West Virginia University School of Nursing (WVUSON): Potomac State Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is a four-year, traditional baccalaureate nursing program located on the WVU Keyser campus at the J. Edward Kelley Complex. The BSN program is state approved by the West Virginia RN Board (5001 MacCorkle Avenue SW, South Charleston, WV 25309, 304-744-0900. The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice program at West Virginia University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) (655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791).
Students accepted for admission into the WVUSON Potomac State BSN program follow the same progression plan, student handbook, curriculum, policies, and procedures as students on our Morgantown campus, but can complete all four years here at Potomac State. Students in the BSN program learn nursing principles in a smart classroom, build their confidence with skills and clinical judgment in state-of-the-science simulation labs, and provide hands-on care in many clinical facilities, including hospitals, nursing homes, and community agencies. The curriculum includes courses in humanities, social sciences, basic sciences, and nursing science; these courses are taken in conjunction with clinical nursing courses. Students apply their learning to client, family, and community situations that warrant nursing intervention. In keeping with the University's commitment to improving health care for all West Virginians, nursing students complete a rural clinical practice experience during their senior year. Throughout the nursing program, students also complete 100 hours of community service.
The School of Nursing’s vision, mission, and values are modeled by faculty, reflected in the teaching-learning process, and expected by students. Throughout all academic and clinical experiences, students and faculty focus on five core competencies that provide the framework for the BSN curriculum: Critical thinking, nursing intervention, professional role, caring, and communication.
Acceptance into the WVUSON Potomac State BSN program is competitive and spaces are limited – 24 students are admitted every fall. Students admitted to the nursing program must successfully pass a background check, urine drug screen, and physical exam/immunizations review by his/her healthcare provider; complete Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), confidentiality, and American Heart Association Basic Life Support trainings; and maintain current health insurance. In addition, students admitted to the nursing program must continue to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the program. See the WVU School of Nursing undergraduate student handbook for further details regarding admission, progression, and graduation policies.
Transfer students in good standing from other colleges or universities may be eligible for admission. Please note: Any student who has been dismissed from the WVU School of Nursing or any other nursing program will not be readmitted or considered for admission to the program. While the School of Nursing has direct admission, RN to BSN, and graduate options on other campuses, those options are not available on the Potomac State (Keyser) campus.
Admission to the BSN Program
Pre-BSN, pre-nursing, transfer, and other college major students may apply for admission to the WVUSON Potomac State BSN program after one semester of college coursework. Applications for fall 2024 admission will be accepted from December 1, 2023 through March 15, 2024. A program applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all college coursework attempted; and
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the prerequisite coursework; and
- Completion of each of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better prior to enrollment:
- General Biology with Lab – BIOL 102 and BIOL 102L (4 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology – BIOL 230 (4 credits)
- Chemistry with Lab – CHEM 111 and CHEM 111L (4 credits)
- Chemistry with Lab – CHEM 112 and CHEM 112L (4 credits)
- College Algebra – MATH 124 (3 credits)
- English Composition – ENGL 101 (3 credits)
- Intro to Psychology – PSYC 101 (3 credits)
- Intro to Nursing – NSG 100 (2 credits)
Steps to apply to our BSN program:
- Confirm that you meet the overall GPA, prerequisite GPA, and prerequisite coursework requirements.
- Note that the application window opens on December 1 and closes on March 15; applicants have until May 1 to get all documents (transcripts and ACT/SAT scores) submitted.
- Apply to Potomac State College of WVU. If you are currently a Potomac State College student, SKIP THIS STEP and move to Step 4; you do not have to reapply to the college. If you are NOT currently a Potomac State College student, complete the Potomac State College application by clicking on this link. You will need to Sign Up for an account, Start a New Application, and make sure you select Potomac State College at Keyser Campus, Type of Student: Transfer or Second Degree, whichever is applicable for you, and Program You are Applying for: Nursing (pre-WVU BSN). Answer the other questions as applicable to you and complete the entire application. Be sure to submit your official high school transcript, college transcripts for all previous work completed, and ACT/SAT scores. Transcripts/Scores must be official, may be in paper or electronic format, and must be submitted to the Potomac State Office of Enrollment Services. An application must be complete, including all documents, to be considered for admission.
- Apply to the WVU School of Nursing. Complete the WVU School of Nursing application. Note: At first, the School of Nursing application will look identical to the Potomac State application, but you will be making different choices in your answers. PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS CAREFULLY: You will need to Sign In, Start a New Application, and make sure you select Potomac State College at Keyser Campus, Type of Student: Internal, Program You are Applying for: Nursing BSN, and Term: Fall 2023. An application must be complete to be considered for admission.
- Applicants admitted to the BSN nursing program are notified by e-mail, usually in mid-May (after spring grades are posted).
- All students accepted for admission to the BSN nursing program must complete the preparatory program requirements and attend an orientation session before they begin nursing classes in the sophomore year. Students will receive information about these requirements in a welcome letter sent out by e-mail, usually in June. Students who are completing certain prerequisite courses may be offered admission; however, the offer will be rescinded if the courses are not completed prior to the first day of classes.
- All sophomore, junior, and senior nursing students must participate in our campus laptop program (see Laptop Program below).
All students in the WVU School of Nursing: Potomac State BSN program must have a laptop and bring it to class/small group/lab/clinical every day. The laptop is used for testing and completion of coursework in nursing courses throughout the BSN curriculum. In order to better serve our students, the ITS department provides computer support should the need arise; the ITS Help Desk can be reached at:
Toll Free: 877-327-9260