- Major Name: Computer Information Systems
- Degree Program: Applied Science
- Degree Designation: BAS
- College / School: Applied Sciences
What you can do with this degree:
An applied bachelor's degree in computer information systems prepares students for careers such as network and computer systems administrators, computer support specialists or information security analysts.
The projected career growth for computer information systems managers is 21 percent from 2014-2024, much faster than the average for all occupations.*
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.
Pearson VUE® authorized test center
Potomac State College is a Pearson VUE® Authorized Test Center. Students and community members can take Cisco® and CompTIA® certifications exams on campus. Pearson VUE® is the leader in computer-based testing offering proctored exams that require the industry’s most secure testing environments.
About the program:
If you have completed an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, this program provides you with an opportunity to continue your education to the baccalaureate level, acquiring additional skills and furthering your professional advancement.
The required courses provide opportunities to:
- explore, discover and develop your special aptitudes and interests and to reach beyond your own perceived limitations;
- acquire the knowledge, critical thinking, problem solving, communication, teamwork, ethical and social skills needed to support your immediate educational goals, as well as lifelong learning in a world characterized by change;
- nurture social responsibility and receptive attitudes compatible with citizenship within a global society;
- acquire skills necessary to enter the workforce;
- experience leadership;
- apply programming, database, operating systems and business application skills to solve problems associated with existing programs and systems;
- create a complete programmatic solution for a business need using Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) accepted standards and practices;
- design and present a proposed software (system) development life cycle (SDLC) and final report addressing specific requirements for an e-commerce company or enterprise.
Choose your path to success:
Option 1: Pursue an Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS AAS). This degree can be completed in two years.
Option 2: Complete Option 1, then enroll in the Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS BAS). This degree can be completed in two years.
Option 3: Transfer from another college or university to complete either the AAS or BAS degree program.
Option 4: Enroll only in courses needed to prepare for the Cisco® and/or CompTIA® certification exams.